Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this Weight Watchers' friendly dish in America's Test Kitchen Light & Healthy (11 points). This dish is phenomenal
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 green onions, sliced thin
- 29.58 ml fresh sage, minced (this is a must!!)
- 14.17 g dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and minced
- 0.59 ml nutmeg, freshly grated
- salt and pepper
- 709.77 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 453.59 g penne
- 28.34 g parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 19.71 ml fresh lemon juice
- 59.14 ml sliced almonds, toasted
- Heat the oil in a 12” skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until spotty brown, 15 – 20 minutes.
- Stir in the green onions, sage, mushrooms, nutmeg, 1/8 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper and cook until the green onions are softened, about 1 minute. Add the broth, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to directions. Reserve ½ cup of cooking water.
- Add the squash mixture, parmesan and lemon juice to the pasta and toss to combine, adjusting the sauce consistency with the reserved cooking water if needed. Season with the salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve.
I couldn't wait to try this recipe. I love Squash and have a good supply of Sage in my garden.
It was Good - but lacked something in flavor. It needed something else, not sure what...Some regular onion perhaps and maybe a hint of cinnamon??
Also, don't cover pan when cooking squash. I did, trying to get it to cook faster, but it wasn't necessary and just made the squash look "fuzzy".
Great dish, I used butternut squash and sage from my garden. I made it just as written and was very happy with the results. Thank you! [Made for Bargain Basement Tag]