Recipe by Cactus Arm
I like this recipe because it is fresh, light, low calorie, low sodium, it is eazy to make, is a meatless dish and it has lots of flavor (sweet, garlic, tomato, with a little spice). It is a good alternative to traditional spaghetti with tomato sauce, and makes for a good summer dish. I got this recipe from a "Seniors/ Cooking for Two" category cookbook I checked out from the library. You can make a lot of substitutions in this recipe too. You can substitute frozen broccoli(instead of fresh), fresh tomatoes (instead of canned), pine nuts (instead of almonds), and spaghetti noodles (instead of linguine). I switch on using fresh vs canned/frozen ingredients depending on what is more economical (sometimes I will buy fresh broccoli when it is on sale and blanch what I don't use and save it in the freezer).
Top Review by Darlene Summers
I'm not sure what just happened,but I don't think my review got submitted,so just in case I am doing it over. I don't even remember exactly what I said,but I know this was a very good recipe,and easy to make,and so very tasty. Thank You,Darlene
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons raisins, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 6 ounces linguine
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, cook the broccoli in enough boiling water to cover until just tender-- 2 to 3 minutes Rinse under cold running water, drain and set aside (blanch broccoli).
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over moderately low heat for 30 seconds add the garlic and cook until garlic is slightly browned/ golden about 3 minutes Then add the tomatoes, raisins, cayenne pepper, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes Then add the almonds and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
- In the mean time cook linguine according to package directions, without salt Drain and place in a large serving bowl.
- Add the cooked broccoli to the tomato sauce and stir to combine Pour over the pasta and sprinkle with the parsley.