Chef #274691's Note:
This came from the Washington Post on Nov. 3, 2010: Simple pasta dishes with vegetables seem right for busier pre-holiday weeknight meals. This dish is a good example. Chopped garlic is slow-cooked in olive oil with crushed red pepper flakes while the pasta cooks. In the last few minutes, chopped broccoli is added to the garlic mixture and steamed with white wine. The broccoli is cut small, so it cooks in just a few minutes. For this dish, I like to use conchiglie pasta; its shell shape allows the individual pieces of pasta to capture and hold bits of the garlic and broccoli.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces shell-shaped dried pasta (see headnote)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped (about 2 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 ounces broccoli, crowns florets cut into 1/2-inch pieces (tough stems trimmed off)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 leaf from 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped (3 tablespoons)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Cook and drain the pasta according to package directions.
- 2Meanwhile, heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, crushed red pepper flakes and salt to taste; reduce the heat to low. Cook the garlic for 13 to 15 minutes, adjusting the heat so the garlic softens without browning.
- 3Add the broccoli pieces and the white wine; increase the heat to medium-high. As soon as the wine starts to bubble, cover the skillet or pan. Steam the broccoli for 3 to 4 minutes, until it is bright green and just tender. Remove from the heat immediately.
- 4Toss together the garlic-broccoli mixture with the drained pasta and the parsley. Serve hot or at room temperature. Pass Parmesan cheese at the table, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pasta Shells Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta With Broccoli and Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.9
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 33.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 10.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: