Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Boil the Chard right along with the pasta! This recipe is from Cook's Illustrated.
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, bulb trimmed,halved,and thinly sliced (about 1 pound, fronds removed, minced, and 1 tablespoon reserved)
- 2 clove garlic, finely minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 2.46 ml crushed hot red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 453.59 g spaghetti
- 453.59 g bright lights chard leaves or 453.59 g rainbow chard leaves, stems trimmed and leaves thoroughly washed and coarsely chopped
- 118.29 ml grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for passing at table
- Heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat in large skillet.
- Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt and sauté (uncovered) over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sliced fennel bulb and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup water and bring to simmer.
- Partially cover and simmer over medium-low heat until fennel is tender and liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, partially cover, and simmer to blend flavors, about 1 minute longer.
- Add crushed red pepper flakes and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons salt and pasta; return to boil.
- After 3 minutes, add chard and return to rapid boil; continue to cook, covered, until pasta is al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Drain pasta and greens, reserving 1/3 cup pasta cooking water.
- Toss pasta and greens with fennel mixture, cheese, and two tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, adding reserved pasta water as needed if mixture is dry.
- Transfer portions to warm pasta bowls.
- Garnish with reserved minced fennel fronds.
- Serve immediately with more cheese passed separately.
I forgot the chilli flakes, which probably would have rated this a 5-star dish. Very easy, very tasty - thank you so much.