Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Wonderfully refreshing recipe made with all fresh ingredients. Great any time of the year. My whole family loves this dish. I like to serve with fresh steamed brocolli, sprinkled with garlic powder or parmesan cheese.
- 6 cups cooked penne pasta
- 3 sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 5 large fresh basil leaves
- 20 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 medium orange bell pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup basil pesto
- Remove casing from sausage links. Heat skillet, and add links. Break up meat while cooking (like ground beef consistancy) Cook until nicely browned.
- Place on paper plate with paper towel to soak up extra grease. Place aside until needed.
- Wash tomatoes and slice up into workable size. Place in food processor.
- Peel garlic cloves and place in processor with tomatoes.
- Cut lemon in half, squeeze juice from one half on top of tomatoes and garlic on food processor.
- Wash basil and cilantro. Place herbs in food processor as well.
- Process until all tomatoes are chopped up - NOT until smooth. You want a little chunkiness. Sauce will be a little watery. (I have thought about adding a small can of tomato paste or something here to thicken the sauce and make it more like what you would get out of a jar, however I have never tried it so I'm not sure how it would work/taste.).
- Wash and cut up pepper. Cut into slices and then cut the slices in half.
- Place tomato sauce in pan and add in meat. Heat for 5-10 minutes over medium heat until warm. Add in pepper for a few minutes and cook until desired firmness. (I only put them in for about 2-3 minutes as I like them just warm, and still crunchy.).
- Mix sauce with warm pasta, stir in pesto and serve ENJOY!