Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I actually make this with Gnocchi, but it can be done with regular pasta as well.
- 3 slices bacon (I use sodium reduced)
- 1 lb asparagus, washed and cut into pieces (use mostly the flower part and some stalk, I liked just the tips)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb shelf stable gnocchi (or pasta if using that)
- 1⁄2 peas (fresh or frozen, not canned)
- 3 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese (can use shaker style if that's what you have)
- In a large frying pan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towel. Keep about 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease aside.
- To the pan, with the reserved bacon grease in it, add the asparagus, onions, garlic, salt and pepper stirring until tender-crisp (about 7 minutes).
- Meanwhile in a large pot of boiling water, cook gnocchi or pasta according to package directions. Add the peas in the last 2 minutes of boiling. Drain, keeping 1 cup of the water aside.
- Crumble the bacon and add it to the asparagus, add gnocchi along with 1/2 cup of the reserved water. Add Parmesan and toss to coat. (Add a little more of the reserved water if needed).