Recipe by Hey Jude
The eggs make sort of an 'instant sauce' when placed on top of the pasta and asparagus. A quick, easy dinner for two from the Chicago Tribune's Good Eating section.
Top Review by GoKittenGo
This is so good. I've been making the bare bones version ;) for a while, with just spaghetti, parmesan, and a fried egg. The asparagus and bread crumbs add just the right touch - - it's a simple dish with just a little something extra. I'll be making this often!
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed,cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces pasta or 8 ounces spaghetti or 8 ounces linguine
- shaved or grated pecorino cheese
- freshly toasted breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large saucepan of salted water to a boil; add the asparagus and cook just until bright green but not quite tender, about 1 minute.
- Transfer asparagus with a slotted spoon to a towel and pat dry; add the pasta to the water and cook according to package directions.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until hot but not smoking in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add the asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 2-7 minutes; transfer the asparagus and oil to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of the oil to the skillet over medium-high heat; crack the eggs into the skillet and cook, without turning, just until the whites are barely firm and the yolks are still runny, about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the pasta; add pasta to the asparagus; add salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat; divide the mixture between 2 plates and place 1 egg on top of each; sprinkle with cheese and/or bread crumbs.
- As you cut into the egg and gently stir the mixture, it will coat the pasta and asparagus.