Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
My mother made this for a dinner party I loved it so much she gave me the recipe
- 6 asparagus spears
- 1⁄3 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups dry rotini pasta
- bring water to boil cook pasta.
- mean while.
- place balsamic in a pan cook at med heat untill it reduces to a syrup.
- chopp asparagus in about 1 inch pices place in frying pan with red onion and a bit of the oil and a bit of water cover alow to stream untill asparagus changes dark green and onion is cooked.
- drain pasta.
- top with asparagus and red onion then drizzel balsamic over and top with lots of parm.
- add salt peper to taste.
I was very surprised to find that I really liked this recipe a lot. I used 1/2 red onion and probably about 30 spears of asparagus because I like the veggies, but the recipe was great as is too. The reduction gave it a very nice flavor. (Just don't breath in through your nose over the stove top as you're boiling the reduction. That will clean out your sinuses.)
Made this tonight for a quick, summer dinner ... I incresed the veggies and added tomatoes due to reviews - also threw in chunks of fresh mozz because I had it on hand. This would be great hot or cold, I'll make again for dinner and to take for healthy weekday lunches. Good find!
This was tasty, though a bit less flavorful than I wanted it to be, even after adding garlic, salt, pepper, and a little fresh lemon juice to the asparagus while cooking. I omitted the onions, maybe that had something to do with it. Everything else followed the recipe. I like that it was very simple and quick to make, I had all the ingredients on hand (except onions because I hate them), and it's a great way to use fresh asparagus. I'll be making this again, maybe with much more lemon to put some zing into it.