Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Pasta is great with Alfredo Sauce, right? Pasta is great with Pesto Sauce, right? Doesn't this recipe make sense? ;-)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts or 1⁄3 cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 lb capellini or 1 lb spaghettini, cooked until al dente
- minced basil
- Finely chop basil, pine nuts and garlic in processor.
- Gradually add olive oil through feed tube and process until smooth; mix in ½ cup Parmesan.
- Transfer to a small jar (can be made up to 4 days ahead – make on the weekend to enjoy a quick, mid-week meal. Pour enough olive oil on surface of pesto to inhibit exposure to air).
- Bring cream to boil in medium saucepan; whisk in pesto.
- Season to taste.
- Combine pasta, sauce and remaining 3/4 cup Parmesan in large bowl.
- Toss to coat evenly and serve sprinkled with some minced basil.
- Note: If you want this 'saucier' you can add a little milk to wet the pasta.
Yummy.....yummmy!!!This chef will rate this underdog differently for this sauce is out of this world! I followed the directions to a tee but served over bow tie pasta. We all kept dipping into the sauce with bread pieces and this was before I had even finished cooking the pasta. If I was to serve the sauce with just bread sticks I may add a tablespoon or two of cream cheese to thicken it even more. Rich, creamy,comforting and delicious. Next time I will have a bottle of wine on hand to go with this meal!
This recipe was awesome! I did cheat though... sssshhhhhh. I just bought a jar of pesto because I was craving this so bad. We have a restaurant that serves this but at 18 a plate and four of us, it gets expensive. <br/><br/>I also served it with stuffed chicken breast. I pounded it and stuffed it with cream cheese, some of the pesto and thawed frozen spinach. I dipped it in eggs then italian pecko crumbs (mixed with some Penzey's tuscan sunset spice) and then fried. I made spinach flavored noodles and put the chicken on top and then covered with this sauce. It was awesome! I used the remaining of the jar of the pesto in the sauce. Oh, I also doubled it. I added a little salt, pepper and of course my Tuscan Sunset italian spice flavor. I also made braised mushrooms as well. I wanted more!!!
Regrettably, my spouse and I hated this - actually threw out the rest of what we prepared which we had hoped to eat as leftovers. Followed the recipe, fresh ingredients and all. Can't figure out what went wrong.<br/> <br/>Maybe it's just our tastes, but I know I have had pesto/alfredo before and loved it. If anyone knows of modifications to make this more palatable, please share your ideas and recommendations. This recipe was a big disappointment!!