Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a popular recipe with my family and can be made with any kind of pasta. It reheats well but may need some additional liquid the second night. I added the spinach to the recipe recently to try and sneak a bit more vegetables into my diet.
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 12 ounces rotelle pasta or 12 ounces other medium fancy pasta
- Remove and discard sausage casings. Slice sausages diagonally into ½-inch thick pieces. In a wide frying pan over medium-high heat, cook sausages until browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add onion and garlic and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes or until onion is limp.
- Add tomatoes and their liquid (break up tomatoes with a spoon). Stir in oregano, thyme, pepper, parsley, and catsup.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened and reduced to about 3 ½ cups Add spinach during last few minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, following package directions, cook pasta in a large kettle of boiling water, drain. Stir hot pasta into sauce and turn onto a platter.
This is a delicious quick meal!