Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very fresh-tasting pasta with bacon and tomato. Easy to prepare and a delicious twist on pasta!
- 1 (16 ounce) package bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) canspetite diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (16 ounce) package spaghetti or 1 (16 ounce) packageyour favorite pasta, uncooked
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp; drain on paper towels, reserving drippings.
- Drain off part of the drippings, leaving enough to saute the garlic and onion.
- Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Stir the onion and garlic into the bacon drippings. Cook until onion is tender but not brown.
- Add tomatoes with liquid, basil, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. (A splash of red wine added here certainly does no harm!).
- Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add tomato mixture and reserved crumbled bacon to pasta; toss lightly and enjoy!
This was just OK in our book. Only 1 out of the 4 of us LOVED it. It wasn't bad, just not great. I followed the recipe exactly as written, including the splash of red wine. It was easy to make, and much lighter than regular spaghetti and sauce, but it seems to be lacking "something". Sorry!