Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
In 'Pasta' by Eric Treuille and Anna Del Conte
Make and share this Pasta, Tomato, and Mozzarella Al Forno recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, chopped (or 2 lb. fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped)
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano (or 1 t. dried)
- black pepper
- 1 lb dry pasta (penne, rigatoni, fusilli)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-inch dice
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus additional to serve
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat oil in a skillet; add garlic and cook over med-high heat until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and oregano; simmer rapidly, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste; remove and reserve 6 tablespoons tomato sauce from the pan.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water, until just firm to the bite; drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Toss drained pasta with remaining sauce, adding reserved water as needed.
- Place half the pasta in an oiled 13 x 9 inch baking dish; cover with half the mozzarella and half the Parmesan.
- Top with remaining pasta; cover with reserved tomato sauce and remaining mozzarella; sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Bake until golden and bubbling, 15 minutes.
This is so quick and easy to put together! I have my two grandsons visiting and they loved it. When I make this again just for DH and I...I will add some hot pepper flakes for a wee kick. I made the recipe as stated using broad curly noodles. Thank you for sharing this really yummy pasta dish!