1/1 Photo of Pasta, Tomato, and Mozzarella Al Forno
In 'Pasta' by Eric Treuille and Anna Del Conte
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, chopped (or 2 lb. fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped)
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano (or 1 t. dried)
- black pepper
- 1 lb dry pasta (penne, rigatoni, fusilli)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-inch dice
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus additional to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2Heat oil in a skillet; add garlic and cook over med-high heat until fragrant, 1 minute.
- 3Add tomatoes and oregano; simmer rapidly, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15 minutes.
- 4Add salt and pepper to taste; remove and reserve 6 tablespoons tomato sauce from the pan.
- 5Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water, until just firm to the bite; drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- 6Toss drained pasta with remaining sauce, adding reserved water as needed.
- 7Place half the pasta in an oiled 13 x 9 inch baking dish; cover with half the mozzarella and half the Parmesan.
- 8Top with remaining pasta; cover with reserved tomato sauce and remaining mozzarella; sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- 9Bake until golden and bubbling, 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta, Tomato, and Mozzarella Al Forno
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.1
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 40.8 mg
- Sodium 438.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 24.3 g