- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 110 g bacon, rind removed and finely chopped
- 225 g green lentils or 225 g brown lentils
- 4 ripe tomatoes, skin removed,chopped
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 -4 sprigs thyme
- 1 3⁄4 liters chicken stock
- 225 g macaroni or 225 g other short pasta
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- parmesan cheese, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large heavy bottomed casserole.
- Add onion, garlic, celery and bacon.
- Cook stirring over low heat for 10-15 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Add lentils and stir well to coat in oil.
- Add fresh and canned tomatoes.
- Bring to boil.
- Add bay leaves, thyme and stock.
- Simmer for about 40- 60 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water until al dente, drain.
- Serve the soup in bowls, garnish with parsley and sprinkle with parmesan.