Recipe by andypandy
The recipe below is a fast simple refreshing tasting side. I hope you try and enjoy this as much as I do. You can add other seasoning, but I find this is perfect for a simple fresh taste, and just goes with everything so well.
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 tablespoon grated onion, with juices
- 1 celery rib, grated
- 1 cubanal pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Heinz salad cream, dressing
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook 1 cup dry elbow macaroni in heavily salted boiling water until al dente, just to the tooth.
- Drain and rinse with cold water, drain well. Set aside.
- Grate celery rib, and onion.
- Chop the cubanal pepper into pieces about the same size as the macaroni.If you can not find a cubanal pepper I would use an orange or yellow bell pepper.
- I chose a cubanal so that it stays fresh and doesnt overtake the slaw clean flavours.
- In a mixing bowl add pasta, washed coleslaw mix, and chopped and grated vegies.
- In a small bowl measure the vinegar, sugar, salt pepper, salad cream and the mayo. Blend well.
- Toss dressing with vegies, and cover well with saran wrap.
- Chill at least two hours before serving.
- When I make this recipe I make sure that I have exactly two cups of cooked macaroni, and two heaping cups of cabbage slaw. The dressing amount is for that amount and works well.
- If you cant find Heinz Salad cream, don't worry as I had it in the house and used it you might need an tablespoon of cream or milk. But the English salad cream really adds that hint of flavour I like.
- Also maybe a bit more black pepper for your tastes, and a sprinkle of paprika on top.