Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
In ' On Top of Spaghetti...' by Johanne Killeen and George Germon
Make and share this Pasta Shells With Spicy Sausage Red Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces sausage (or 2 hot Italian sausages, casings removed)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 plump garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- cayenne, a pinch (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups tomato juice, preferably organic
- 1 lb shell pasta (or rigatoni, spaghetti)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more to pass at the table
- Combine the sausage, onions, garlic, and fennel seeds in a bowl with 1 1/2 cups cold water.
- Break up the meat with your fingers or two forks, combining it with the other ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to several hours.
- Transfer the sausage mixture to a large, heavy saucepan with a lid (an enamel coated cast-iron pot is ideal).
- Stir in the cayenne and salt, and add in the olive oil.
- Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, over medium heat until all the water has cooked away and only the oil remains to moisten the ingredients.
- Add the tomato juice, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat and gently simmer 30 minutes with the lid slightly ajar.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add a generous amount of salt and drop in the pasta.
- Cook, stirring often, until al dente; drain the pasta and transfer to a heated serving bowl.
- Ladle on enough sauce to generously coat the pasta with a little puddle on the bottom.
- Sprinkle over the Parmigiano-Reggiano and toss.
- The cheese will thicken the sauce.
- If seems dry, add more sauce.
- Serve immediately with extra sauce and cheese passed at the table.