Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found in Southern Living years ago and adapted slightly, this makes a quick and tasty weeknight supper. I usually serve it with a salad and garlic toast.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) packagefresh button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (1 lb) package smoked sausage (I use Bryan's Smoky Hollow)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pasta-style chunky tomatoes or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 (5 ounce) package medium egg noodles
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and zucchini; sprinkle with oregano, stirring to blend.
- Saute 3 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp-tender (my family prefers softer veggies, so I cook 8-10 minutes).
- While vegetables cook, cut sausages crosswise into 1/2-inch slices.
- When vegetables are as tender as you like, remove to a bowl and add sausage to skillet; cook until browned, stirring occasionally.
- (Note: Since they're fully-cooked, you can heat the sausages as little as 5 minutes if you're in a hurry. We like the flavor when they're really well-browned, so I often have to add a little more butter to prevent sticking.).
- Return vegetables to skillet with sausage; stir in tomatoes, including juice, and let mixture simmer gently while pasta cooks.
- Prepare noodles according to package directions; drain well.
- Top noodles with sausage-vegetable mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.