Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I made this sauce a couple of days ago and it really turned out nice. I like the smoothness of the tomatoes and the more chuncky vegetables.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 15 -20 medium button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon marjoram
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red wine, preferably Italian
- Start with preparing all the vegetables and set them aside.
- Brown ground beef and sausage well and set aside.
- Saute all the vegetable in the olive oil until they are soft. Add the browned meat.
- Puree the tomatoes in a separate bowl and add to the vegetables/meat.
- Add the spices, salt, sugar and pepper.
- Let it simmer for about an hour.
- Add the wine and taste to see if more salt/pepper is needed.
- Simmer for another 30 minutes to an hour.
- Serve with mini farfalle or mini penne and some good parmesan cheese.
This makes a large batch of sauce! I'm not sure I'd use the bay leaves the next time I make this. Thank you for posting. Made for *PAC Fall 2007* game
Outstanding! Put all ingredients into my crockpot and cooked it on Low for 10 hours. Turned out great.