Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This recipe by Canadian chef Michael Smith is easy to prepare and so tasty! I remove the skin from the chicken to reduce the fat.
- 6 -8 chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 sweet green pepper, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- black pepper
- Place a large pot on the stove and turn the heat to high.
- Add the olive oil and brown the thighs, skin side down.
- When the skin is golden brown, flip the thighs and brown the other side.
- Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Drain the excess fat from the pan and put back on the heat.
- Add the onions and stir and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- When the onions are golden and caramelized, add the garlic.
- Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the wine, chicken thighs, peppers, tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Cover with a lid and let simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve over a short pasta such as penne or rotini.