Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I LOVE artichokes, and this is a wonderful vegan pasta sauce that makes great use of these delicious little thistles. I usually have canned artichoke hearts on hand instead of jars of the marinated ones. For this recipe, I simply added 1/4 cup or so of my favorite Italian salad dressing with a shake or two of crushed red pepper and some dried italian spices in place of the reserved marinade. Non-vegans, feel free to top your servings of pasta with grated cheese. I spinkled the top of ours with some nutritional yeast which is a nice vegan alternative to parmesan cheese.
- 2 (6 ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, with juice
- 1⁄4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- Drain artichoke hearts and coarsely chop, reserving marinate for the sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onions, garlic, spices, and reserved marinade.
- Saute over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, or until onions and garlic are soft and translucent.
- In a large bowl, AND with clean hands, lightly crush the whole plum tomatoes in their juices.
- Add the tomatoes, cover and bring to a boil, then let simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add chopped artichokes and fresh parsley.
- Stir and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Use to top 1 lb of your favorite pasta.