Recipe by MizEmerilLagasse
This is the best pasta sauce you will ever have. I guarantee it. It is not to sweet, not to spicy, not to acidic. It's just darn good!
Top Review by stevehet
I haven't made a lot of tomato-based pasta sauces from scratch, but this one was fantastic! I substituted crushed tomatos for the whole tomatoes. I made this with a slow cooker and it was perfect. I sauteed the red pepper, garlic and onions in a pan and then added it to the slow cooker later. I think the key to this recipe is to let the sauce simmer for as long as possible. It really lets the flavors combine. Also - crush the dry spices in your hand before you add them to the sauce. It helps bring out the natural oils in the spice.
- 4 clove garlic
- 4.92 ml kosher salt or 4.92 ml sea salt
- 44.37 ml of a robust extra virgin olive oil (it does make a difference)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 177.44 ml chicken broth
- 680.38 g can whole tomatoes
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 2.46 ml fresh cracked black pepper
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml dried parsley
- 2.46 ml dried basil
Directions See How It's Made
- On your cutting board, chop and smash the garlic into a paste with the salt.
- Heat a large saucepan with the oil in it over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook for about 8 minutes or until the onions are all brown.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and scrape the bottom to get all the"flavor" bits off of it.
- Crush the tomatoes into the pan using your hand (it's a little gross, but it will give the sauce texture like you've never seen).
- Add the tomato paste and all of the seasonings except the parsley and basil.
- Stir to combined.
- Bring to a soft boil, turn the heat to low, and cover.
- Let it simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stir occasionally.
- Add the parsley and basil.
- Serve over pasta, rice, pizza, anything.