Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the best pasta sauce you will ever have. I guarantee it. It is not to sweet, not to spicy, not to acidic. It's just darn good!
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons of a robust extra virgin olive oil (it does make a difference)
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (24 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- On your cutting board, chop and smash the garlic into a paste with the salt.
- Heat a large saucepan with the oil in it over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook for about 8 minutes or until the onions are all brown.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and scrape the bottom to get all the"flavor" bits off of it.
- Crush the tomatoes into the pan using your hand (it's a little gross, but it will give the sauce texture like you've never seen).
- Add the tomato paste and all of the seasonings except the parsley and basil.
- Stir to combined.
- Bring to a soft boil, turn the heat to low, and cover.
- Let it simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stir occasionally.
- Add the parsley and basil.
- Serve over pasta, rice, pizza, anything.
I haven't made a lot of tomato-based pasta sauces from scratch, but this one was fantastic! I substituted crushed tomatos for the whole tomatoes. I made this with a slow cooker and it was perfect. I sauteed the red pepper, garlic and onions in a pan and then added it to the slow cooker later. I think the key to this recipe is to let the sauce simmer for as long as possible. It really lets the flavors combine. Also - crush the dry spices in your hand before you add them to the sauce. It helps bring out the natural oils in the spice.
I tried a few different pasta sauce recipes on here after my cookbooks went missing from our move 5 months ago. This one is my favorite! I add italian sausage or grd beef. Sometimes a litte wine if I have it. I also add a few more spices and just a sprinkle of pepper flakes. The chicken broth really makes a difference. Thanks for a great recipe! Defintely a keeper!
Very nice rich and tomato-ey sauce! I added sliced mushrooms and meatballs. Deeeeelish spaghetti sauce!