Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 mins
This salad is best served the day it is made; if it's been refrigerated, bring it to room temperature before serving. The pesto can be made a day ahead--just cook the garlic cloves in a small saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute. Garnish with additional shaved or grated Parmesan.
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 2 medium garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb bow tie pasta
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves, packed (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup Baby Spinach, about 1 ounce (packed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated (3/4 cup)
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered (optional) or 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved (optional)
- Bring 4 quarts water to rolling boil in large pot. Toast.
- pine nuts in small dry skillet over medium heat, shaking pan occasionally, until just golden and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes.
- When water is boiling, add garlic and let cook 1 minute. Remove.
- garlic with slotted spoon and rinse under cold water to stop cooking;.
- set aside to cool. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta to water, stir.
- to separate, and cook until tender (just past al dente). Reserve ¼.
- cup cooking water, drain pasta, toss with 1 tablespoon oil, spread in.
- single layer on rimmed baking sheet, and cool to room temperature,.
- about 30 minutes.
- When garlic is cool, peel and mince or press through garlic.
- press. Place ¼ cup nuts, garlic, basil, spinach, pepper, lemon.
- juice, remaining ¼ cup oil, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in.
- bowl of food processor and process until smooth, scraping sides of.
- bowl as necessary. Add cheese and mayonnaise and process until.
- thoroughly combined. Transfer mixture to large serving bowl. Cover.
- and refrigerate until ready to assemble salad.
- When pasta is cool, toss with pesto, adding reserved pasta water,.
- 1 tablespoon at a time, until pesto evenly coats pasta. Fold in remaining.
- ½ cup nuts and tomatoes (if using); serve.