Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from the National Pasta Association. Cooking time includes 1-hour chilling time.
- 453.59 g small shell pasta, cooked,rinsed with cold water and set aside
- 354.88 ml fennel bulbs, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml plum tomato, diced
- 177.44 ml kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
- 118.29 ml fresh basil or 118.29 ml fresh dill or 118.29 ml fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, unpeeled (for roasting with fennel and onion)
- 78.07 ml balsamic vinegar
- 78.07 ml olive oil or 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- 29.58 ml barbecue sauce
- 29.58 ml lime juice
- romano cheese, grated
- crushed red chili pepper
- Toss garlic, fennel and onion with 2 teaspoons olive oil and spread out evenly on a cookie sheet.
- Roast at 375°F until lightly browned and tender, approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- Set aside the fennel and onion.
- In a bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, barbecue sauce and lime juice.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic out of its peel, dice and whisk into dressing.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Dice the onion, fennel and tomatoes and add to the cooled pasta.
- Add the olives, herbs, and dressing and toss.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- To serve, sprinkle with Romano cheese and crushed red chili peppers.