Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This salad is wonderful to make in the summer when tomatoes are ripe and basil is fresh! Take this salad along to your next picnic, barbecue or potluck. *** This is based on the review. this salad is not meant to be served warm. It should be allowed to chill several hours to let the flavors meld.
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice (about 3 lbs.)
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil (do not use dried)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (do not use dried)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fusilli or 1 1⁄2 lbs corkscrew macaroni
- Combine the mozzarella, tomatoes, olives.
- In a tight fitting jar compine garlic, basil, parsley, olive oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper and shake.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the pasta until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Add the pasta to the mozzarella and tomato.
- Pour dressing (use all or less according to taste) mixture over Pasta mixture and toss well.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, if necessary.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Serves 6 to 8.
This was easy to put together and was good. I wouldn't say it was the best I ever had, but it was tasty. Seems like it should have had some onion in it though. - I'll add some next time. I used the twist pasta vegtable based for color. It was served warm with Hot Dogs, but would be a wonderful side for picnic foods like cold chicken, grilled steak or pork chops. I plan on having more for breakfast this morning - cold. Thank you, Little Bee