Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a Food Network recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray. A wonderful picnic or potluck salad… no mayo!
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta (I use Medium Shells) or 1 lb corkscrew macaroni (I use Medium Shells) or 1 lb medium pasta shell (I use Medium Shells)
- coarse salt
- 1 cup prepared pesto sauce, from the refrigerated case in the supermarket
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb ricotta salata, chopped and crumbled (I use Perlini, pearl size) or 1 lb bocconcini, mini pieces fresh mozzarella cheese, drained, pieces halved (I use Perlini, pearl size)
- black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it.
- Place pesto, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsely, tomatoes, scallions and cheese in a large bowl.
- Cook pasta to al dente then cold shock it and chill it down under cold running water. Drain well. Add to mixing bowl. Combine salad and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
I loved the tart flavors in this salad and it would be a terrific picnic or potluck salad. I added slivers of purple onion for additional color. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Reviewed for Pick A Chef Spring 2007.