Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love recipes with healthy substitutes. Cut the mayo out of pasta salad and give it a healthy, tangy twist with kefir and some fresh peas for a fresh take on a classic.
- 1 lb pasta shells
- 1 1⁄2 cups lifeway low-fat plain kefir
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb frozen peas (thawed)
- 6 green onions
- 1⁄2 cup mint leaf
- 1⁄2 lb white cheese or 1⁄2 lb feta
- Cook the pasta shells in salted water until al dente. Drain and while it begins to cool, make the dressing and prep additional ingredients.
- In a blender, combine kefir, olive oil, garlic, salt, cayenne pepper and 1 cup of the peas. Blend until smooth and pale green.
- Chop the green onions into thin slices. Stack the mint leaves and slice crosswise into thin ribbons. Dice the cheese into ¼ inch cubes or crumble if using feta.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pasta, dressing, green onions, mint, cheese and remaining peas and stir to combine. Refrigerate a few hours or overnight before serving. If the pasta absorbs the dressing, add more kefir before serving.