Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was very easy to throw together!! I cut the recipe in half for the 2 of us...and there was plenty as a main dish! Recipe found in Everyday Food Jan/Feb issue (2006)
- 2 lbs broccoli
- 3 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise (skin on)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 ounces roasted red peppers, jarred, rinsed and cut into 1/2 inch strips (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive, pitted and halved
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, broken into pieces
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Trim 1 inch from stems of broccoli, peel outer layer of stems. Cut diagonally into 1/2 inch slices. Separate florets into bite-size pieces. On one large rimmed baking sheet, toss broccoli, garlic 1 Tbls olive oil; season with salt and pepper. spread in a single layer; roast, turning sheet halfway through, until tender and beginning to brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water, according to package instrutions. Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water; rinse under cold water until cool. Drain and return to pot.
- Remove skin from roasted garlic. In a small bowl, mash garlic until forms a paste; whisk in lemon juice and remaining 1 tbls of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture over pasta; toss in broccoli, red peppers, olives and walnuts. Add some reserved cooking water, if needed.
- Serve at room temp or chilled.
Loved the roasted vegetables. They make the dish. Wouldn't change a thing.