I made this salad up when my sister called and said "lets BBQ at your house tonight!" and I responded "OK, I'll make a side dish". I wanted a pasta salad, with some vegetables in it, and I didn't want to go shopping, so everything in this dish was something I had on hand. Feel free to make subsitutions, according to your own tastes and what YOU have on hand when you need to make it. The only ingredients that I think are key are the pasta- use a small shape instead of a long noodle, and the oil-vinegar mix. Use whatever seasoning mixes are your personal favorites, I've listed the ones I used to give you an idea. The dressing may look really oily when you first mix it with the pasta, but the pasta will absorb a lot as it sits in the fridge, so don't worry. Chilling time is not included in prep or cooking time.
My Private Note
side di ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces dry pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon spinach dip mix, like Tastefully Simple's
- 1 tablespoon garlic parmesan seasoning, like Garlic Gourmet's
- 10 slices pepperoni, sliced into 1/16 inch ribbons
- 1 ounce mozzarella cheese, diced in 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until done, but not soggy.
- 2While the pasta is cooking, whisk together the oil, vinegar, dip mix, and garlic seasoning in a bowl large enough to hold all of the salad ingedients.
- 3When the pasta is done, drain well, and add to the dressing while still hot.
- 4Stir well to coat the pasta with the dressing.
- 5Add the pepperoni, cheese, capers, corn, and peas. Stir to combine.
- 6Chill for at least two hours to let the flavors combine.
- 7When ready to serve, taste, and add salt or pepper as needed.
- 8Sprinkle paprika over the salad, mix gently, and serve.
- 9Other ideas to add: Leftover roast chicken or sliced ham instead of the pepperoni; cheddar or swiss cheese instead of the mozzerella; artichoke heart quarters, cooked white beans, broccoli florets (blanched and drained); frozen lima beans or green beans.
- 10You can use bottled salad dressing instead of the oil, vinegar and seasonings, or use a seasoning mix your family likes mixed with the oil and vinegar.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta Salad- from What's on Hand
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.5
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 11.3 mg
- Sodium 217.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
spinach dip mix
garlic parmesan seasoning