Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 mins
Easy fresh Pasta Salad using whole wheat pasta and fresh vegetables. This can also be eaten as a weight watchers core food. Keeps well in the refrigerator and is good warm/just made or cold. Enjoy and make often!
- 1 (12 ounce) box whole wheat penne
- 2 -3 tablespoons fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1 -2 teaspoon white vinegar or 1 -2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 8 -10 medium black olives (sliced or cut up)
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- green pepper (optional)
- broccoli (optional)
- 2 ears corn on the cob
- 1 -2 teaspoon flax seed oil (or any kind) or 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil (or any kind)
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- Put a large pot of water on the stove and heat on high until bubbling. You can also throw some salt in the pot if you so desire. Add any amount of past you would like and also if you are adding corn, I usually break a cob in half and place them in the boiling water with the pasta. Again, you can use one or both of the corn cobs in the ingredients list. If you want to do the corn cobs separately, you can do that too! The corn does not have to be terribly soft, but just cooked a little.
- Watch pasta – it usually takes about 8-10 minutes to cook. I like to cook mine a little more than al-dente for pasta salad. The whole wheat pasta has a different consistency and is usually a little thicker, so I cook mine till soft. Drain the pasta and corn cobs if used.
- Put pasta in a bowl and add some dressing. I probably used a few tablespoons. I did not add a lot b/c I just wanted to get the flavor and I am not crazy about the flavor of fat free Italian. Also, I used the kraft zesty Italian b/c it had vinegar listed higher in the ingredients than corn syrup. Add a few drops of vinegar and also a teaspoon or two of oil. The amounts all depend on the amount of pasta you are making.
- Chop up some tomatoes and add them to the pasta salad.
- Cut the corn off the cob and add to the pasta salad.
- Add some black beans – amount depends on your liking.
- Slice up some carrots, broccoli, olives and green peppers and add to the pasta.
- Taste the pasta salad so far and see if any other seasonings (dressing, oil or vinegar) need to be added. You can always add a little Italian seasonings if you have any or fresh cilantro. Feel free to add a little salt and pepper – it never hurts!
- You can enjoy this warm right away or keep in the fridge to get cold. It is good the next day too!
- ENJOY, and make often!
This was awesome. All the flavors went together perfectly, and it's easy to add or subtract things if you don't care for them. It's my new go-to potluck dish, and perfect for those nights you don't want a heavy dinner, or to heat up your kitchen. I think it would be amazing with slices of sausage included too.