Recipe by checkmait
Delicious cold gourmet pasta salad. Perfect for a summer meal, this salad has something special - I created it accidentally, and since then, my guests have loved it, and commented on the unique flavors. After cooking the pasta, allow it to drain adequately as not to dilute the flavor.
- 3 large red onions
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato (cut into pieces)
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 2 zucchini (large)
- fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- 12 ounces rigatoni pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta and cool; set aside.
- Sauté chopped onions until tender and lightly browned.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes. Sauté together.
- Add zucchini, salt and pepper and cook all together until zucchini is tender. Add additional oil if necessary. Add pine nuts.
- Mix together with pasta. When well mixed add Dijon mustard and stir well. Add fresh basil leaves, or add as garnish.
- Chill for 1 hour minimum.
- Add cheese and serve (I have used mozzarella mostly, but other soft cheeses that can be easily cubed or cut into nice sized pieces also works).
- *You can substitute the cheese with chicken pieces, or with another vegetable if you're a vegetarian, or need a lactose-free salad.