Recipe by belkathy
This is an altered Williams-Sonoma casserole recipe that includes ziti, sausage, and three cheeses. Tastes great with a green salad and garlic bread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb Italian sausage, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) candiced tomato puree (Puree reserved)
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or 2 cups Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and drain the pasta.
- Brown the onions in the oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Break the sausage into small pieces and crumble over the onion.
- Brown thoroughly, so no pink remains.
- Add the herbs, pepper flakes, tomatoes, puree, and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to med-low and simmer for 30 minutes, until thickened.
- Do no not cover.
- Taste and add salt as necessary.
- Mix together the pasta, cottage cheese, mozzarella, and the sauce.
- Spread into a greased casserole dish and top with Parmesan Bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes.