Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This pasta makes a beautiful presentation with the fresh tomatoes and baby spinach. The name means red and green pasta, and it's appropriate. I got this from my mother-in-law in an e-mail, but I have no clue where she found it. Easy to make, great dish for a week night when you don't really feel like cooking an involved meal, but you still want to eat something a little classy.
- 1 lb penne
- 4 -6 tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil over medium heat and saute onions and garlic until soft.
- Add tomatoes and heat until they start to release their liquid.
- Add the spinach and cook until just wilted, add the salt and pepper to taste and stir in.
- With a slotted spoon, scoop the sauce into a bowl, discarding any excess liquid.
- Serve over the pasta and top with toasted pine nuts and crumbled cheese to taste.
- Note: I thought this was pretty good with the gorgonzola but it's a little strong. It would be just as good with romano or parmesan.
This is good, very fresh flavors. I made this for the Spring 07 PAC event. I halved the ingredients, and it worked well. Thanks for posting!