Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Cooking Light-The entire fennel plant is used in this recipe, so buy one with fresh-looking fronds.
- 29.58 ml butter, divided
- 473.18 ml fennel bulbs, chopped
- 236.59 ml leek, thinly sliced, about 2 large
- 4.92 ml fennel seed
- 1.23 ml salt
- 709.77 ml low sodium vegetable broth, for vegetarian or 709.77 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 236.59 ml dry white wine
- 295.73 ml orzo pasta, uncooked
- 59.14 ml pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 29.58 ml fennel leaves, chopped
- 1.23 ml pepper
- Melt 1 T butter in a large nonstick skillet over med heat. Add fennel bulb, leek, and fennel seeds; cook 2 min, stirring frequently. Stir in salt. Cover and cook 12 min or til fennel is tender, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Combine broth and wine; bring to a simmer in a large saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat (mixture will look curdled).
- Melt 1 T butter in a med saute pan over med heat. Add orzo to pan; cook 2 min, stirring constantly. Add broth mixture, 1/2 c at a time, stirring frequently until each portion of broth mixture is absorbed before adding the next (about 17 min total). Stir in leek mixture; cook 2 minute Remove from heat; stir in cheese, fennel fronds and pepper.