Recipe by JackieOhNo!
I LOVE pasta puttanesca, and have made it a few different ways, sometimes even with tuna. However, this is my go-to recipe that is quite easy to put together. I have made this as a first-course for holiday dinners or for my weeknight cravings. I must say, though, that the fresh herbs are key!
Top Review by LifeIsGood
I can see why this it your go-to puttanesca recipe! It's easy to put together and tastes great. I really loved the slight anchovy taste (not so much a taste as it is a slightly salty flavor boost), capers and olives. Yummy combination. I quartered the recipe because I made this for my lunch. I still have enough for one more lunch! Thank you. Made for Culinary Quest Italy - International Agents of Quest.
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta or 1 lb penne
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (coarsely chopped or chiffonaded)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 ounces rolled anchovies packed in oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup kalamata olives or 1 cup burgundy olive, pitted and halved
- 1⁄4 cup drained capers
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add a generous palmful of sea salt or kosher salt to the pot. Add pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente.
- While waiting for the water to boil, heat oil in a medium skillet. Add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, and making sure it does not burn. Then add onion, salt, pepper, fresh herbs and stir, cooking, for about 5 minutes. Add the anchovies and their oil, raise the heat to medium-high, and cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring until anchovies are dissolved.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, as well as bay leaf and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 5 minutes, then add olives and capers. Simmer another 5-10 minutes, then taste and adjust seasonings. Drain pasta and place in a large shallow bowl, then toss with the puttanesca sauce and serve.