Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Spicy, yummy, quick tomato sauce you can impress somebody with, perfect for a romantic dinner. It's spicy and bold like the Italian ladies of the night, where it gets its name from:)
- 6 ounces linguine
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped and drained- (save liquid)
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets, smashed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh parsley
- grated parmesan cheese or grated romano cheese
- Cook pasta and drain.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until slightly soft.
- Add the drained tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies, basil, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil stirring occasionally. Then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, adding reserved tomato liquid if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve over pasta.
- Sprinkle with parsley and grated cheese if desired. Garlic bread and some good red wine go great with this too!
Ok guys, this is the bomb! I used green olives with pimentos because that's what I had on hand and also used fresh basil at the end instead of parsley. Also used dried parsley while cooking and a pinch of dried marjoram. Put this dish right over the top. MUST use anchovies or it's not the real deal. The flavor was divine.
I've never tried this before but I certainly will make it again. Great flavor blend and gentle heat make this a real winner. It doesn't hurt any that it's so quick too. Have everything ready to go on the counter and the sauce is made before the pasta cooks. I used organic whole grain spaghetti. Made for the Wish You Were Here challenge of ZWT7.
Wonderful! I made this once with anchovies and once without. It was much better without.