Recipe by MinatheBrat
The name of this dish is -politely put- "Lady of the Evening's Pasta". One of my Chef instructors in culinary school had us cook this dish in class and had great fun telling us what the name meant. Now the phraseology is hilarious- but the dish is OH!, so tasty. And it's fast too.
Top Review by Lightly Toasted
WOW. My dad grew up going to NYC's Little Italy with his uncles and having "good old-fashioned Italian food." The kind where meatballs are bigger than your fist and chianti is served in a small tumbler by a Grampa, and Gramma ran the kitchen. He has always loved Puttanesca, but never finds a really good one. This was PERFECT. The directions are concise. I used fresh Roma tomatoes instead of canned, and tossed in some shrimp and langostinos since it was New Year's Day. Serve with a nice ciabatta to mop up the sauce, and a good red wine.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 -8 garlic cloves, -depending on your garlic affection. i like lots
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets or 2 -3 anchovy fillets
- red chili pepper flakes
- 1 (32 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 12 black olives, crushed off the pit and chopped -get good ones, not bland, boring canned ones
- 1 tablespoon capers, heaping
- 1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 3 leaves fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1 lb pasta, cooked, I like noodles with this, spaghetti, capellini, spaghettini, spaghettoni, linguini, fettucci
- parmesan cheese or romano cheese or grana padano, for sprinking on top if you like
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil, garlic, anchovies, and crushed pepper.
- Saute until the anchovies dissolve into the oil and the garlic is tender. This only takes a few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, olives, and capers.
- Simmer sauce a few minutes until slightly thickened (about 6-8 min or so) and add parsley and basil.
- *Note* If using fresh tomatoes simmer the sauce longer at this point until tomatoes have cooked down.
- Taste for salt and add a bit of fresh black pepper.
- Toss sauce with pasta and serve.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.