Prep 30 mins
Cook 14 mins
From Vegetarian Express. A quick and easy version.
- 10 -12 ounces linguine
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil or 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, lightly drained and chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (14 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup stuffed green olive, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- grated parmesan cheese (for topping) or vegan parmesan cheese (for topping)
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, Add the wine, olive oil, shallot, and garlic to a medium skillet.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and cook 2 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes (chopped and crushed) olives, and oregano; cover and simmer 12 minutes.
- When the linguine is done, drain well and transfer to a large serving bowl; top with olive sauce and fresh ground pepper.
- Toss to combine (adjust seasoning to taste).
- Sprinkle with parsley and parmesan cheese.
Excellent home-made spaghetti sauce recipe, it beats the store brands and it's so easy it makes me wonder why I still buy the stuff in jars. For those of you who haven't tried puttanesca before, I strongly recommend this recipe. I used less oil and fewer olives but it was still very tasty. Instead of the bland black olives you get in a can I recommend a stronger Greek or Italian olive (particularly if you're going to save on calories by adding less like I did). I used fire roasted crushed tomatoes and diced roma tomatoes (which I forget to drain, no matter). I also added parsley and optional cheese. The red wine and shallots were also nice touches. Had leftovers for lunch at work today. Thanks for the recipe!
This was faster than other puttnescas I've tried.
This was great. I used fresh oregano instead, and added fresh basil leaves just prior to serving. Not mad about parsley in pasta sauce.