Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Spicy quick red sauce
- 12 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, chunked
- 25 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 (2 ounce) cans anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup capers, drained
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) package linguine
- Heat large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and allow to heat for a minute.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes making sure not to brown the garlic.
- Add tomatoes, olives, anchovies, capers, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer will pasta water boils and pasta cooks.
For years I ve been an addict of putanesca pasta but I tried your recipe over mine and I was so suprise....... they are perfect .... thank you
I found the sauce incredibly salty. In spite of the two cans of tomatoes, I believe that 4 ounces of anchovies as well as the 25 olives contributed a little too much salty flavor to the dish. The 1/4 cup of capers didn't help the situation either. I would try this again, but cut back on the salty ingredients.
I had never had Puttanesca pasta sauce until last week. We had bought some in a jar and really liked it. Decided to try from scratch and recipezaar.com. This was quite easy and I suppose you could sub anchovy paste to make it even easier. I did add 1 cup chopped onions suated. Did not find it too salty, but definetly no salt needed. I found this to be enough for 8 servings. Will make again.