Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cook the pasta and vegetables in the same pot to save time, remembering to ladle out about 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water before draining the pasta. The starchy salted water will keep the final dish moist without adding extra oil. By Marie Simmons
- 8 ounces gemelli pasta (short twisted pasta) or 8 ounces penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 1 cup diagonally sliced thin carrot (1/4 inch)
- 2 cups diagonally sliced asparagus (1/4 inch)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen tiny peas
- 1 (14 ounce) canquartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup torn fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup plus 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding carrots during last 5 minutes of cooking. Add asparagus and peas during last 3 minutes. Add artichoke hearts during last 1 minute. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta cooking water. Return pasta and vegetables to pot, along with reserved pasta water.
- Meanwhile, cook butter, oil and garlic in medium skillet over medium heat 30 seconds or until butter melts and garlic begins to sizzle. Add walnuts; reduce heat to low. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until walnuts are lightly toasted.
- Toss walnut mixture, basil, salt, pepper and 2/3 cup of the cheese with pasta. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.