Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Fresh, light and tasty describes this Italian style linguine and fresh veggies dish! You can vary the ingredients according to what's in season. Our favorite is with seasonal fresh asparagus, and the addition of pesto and clams. Very nice with a glass of dry white wine and a crusty loaf of Italian bread or sourdough. Adapted from Julee Rosso's "Fresh Start" cookbook.
- 1⁄4 lb dried italian linguine (can use fresh pasta or spinach linguine)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup sugar snap pea, stems removed (or snow peas)
- 1⁄4 lb asparagus, split lengthwise and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped scallion, green part only (or green onions)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons basil pesto (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) can baby clams (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- snipped fresh Italian parsley (for garnish)
- toasted pine nuts (for garnish)
- grated parmesan cheese
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil and cook the pasta for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli and beans in a steaming basket set over 1 quart of simmering water for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the broccoli and beans and set aside.
- Add the peas and asparagus to the steaming basket and steam for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and set aside with the other vegetables. Reserve the steaming broth.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the vegetables, dill, garlic, scallions or green onions, pepper flakes, oil and 1/2 to 3/4 cup reserved steaming broth (omit broth if using pesto), and heat over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring to coat thoroughly. Add pesto and baby clams, if desired.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with snipped fresh parsley and toasted pine nuts, and grated Parmesan cheese at the table.
- Serve immediately.
Thanks Bec, for answering my post in the Recipes forum for a meatless entree. This was so delicious and a feast for the eyes! I used Green Chile-Cilantro Pesto Sauce (Pasta) and omitted the dill (this pesto is so assertive the dill would have been lost). I heartily recommend the addition of clams! I love clams but haven't bought them in about 15 years (!) so thanks for bringing them back to my meals! I didn't even use expensive clams (Bumble Bee brand) and yet they added so much to the dish! Thanks again, Bec, for posting. Roxygirl
Very good fresh pasta dish. Made this and used tortillini and everyone loved it. I will be making this again soon! Thank you!
I changed the recipe quite abit for our preference and enjoyed the outcome. I made @ 4 servings but tend to use closer to 5-6 oz so did so here also. I could have reduced the vegys abit to keep the balance better (also cooked vegys abit less than indicated) but there was lots to go around. Omitted the clams & nuts. Sub'd finely chopped jalapeno for the red pepper flakes & used dried dill for fresh. Nice recipe, thanks for sharing.