Recipe by Enjolinfam
This is a very fresh, colorful, and vitamin and nutrient rich salad. One large pot of boiling water does all the cooking for the vegetables in this salad. The addition of the vegetables has been timed so that they're all done at the same time. Using a strainer to remove the vegetables from the water stops the cooking fast and leaves you with a hot, lightly seasoned broth to boil the pasta in. From Vegetarian Times.
Top Review by Thea
If the kids could give this more than 5 stars they would...and that says alot! I had leftover fresh veggies from DD grad party...so it was broccoli, snap peas, carrots, cauliflower, I used grape tomatoes cut in half, 1 tsp garlic, 1/4 diced red onion, 1 cup shredded colby-jack cheese and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated. For the sauce I cheated and used about 1/3 cup or so of Italian dressing (paul newman's family recipe) and 1/2 cup or so of Ranch...I used the juice of 1/2 lemon. For pasta I chose rotini as I think it holds the sauce well...Thanks so much for posting this delish recipe...I'm sure to make this alot this summer when the garden is bountiful...very flavorful and healthy...and the best part is the kids LOVED it!!!
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 cups yellow squash, diced
- 2 cups broccoli, small florets
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, halved
- 8 ounces penne or 8 ounces rotini pasta
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced (1 tsp)
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare a large ice water bath. Add carrots to the boiled water, and simmer 2 minutes.
- Add squash, and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add broccoli and bell pepper, and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add sugar snap peas, and cook 2 minutes more.
- Scoop vegetables from simmering water with strainer. Transfer to ice water bath. Drain when cool, and pat dry.
- Bring pot of water to a rolling boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente. Drain, and rinse under cold water to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together olive oil and lemon juice in large serving bowl. Stir in shallots and garlic. Add pasta, blanche vegetables, tomatoes, and cheese, and toss to coat with dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve.