Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mark Bittman, How To Cook Everything
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 cups meat stock or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup asparagus tips, each about 1 inch long
- 1⁄2 cup diced zucchini or 1⁄2 cup summer squash
- 1⁄2 cup peas (fresh or frozen or may use snow peas)
- 1 lb penne
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil.
- In a medium skillet, bring 1 cup stock to a boil; add in thyme and salt to taste.
- Add in carrot; cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in asparagus tips; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in zucchini; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in peas; cook until all the vegetables are just tender, and the stock has just about evaporated; turn off heat.
- Salt the boiling water and cook the pasta al dente.
- When the pasta is just about done, turn the heat under the vegetables to medium and stir in the olive oil or butter.
- Cook for about a minute, then add the remaining stock; cook until the vegetables are very tender but not mushy.
- Drain the cooked pasta and toss it with the cooked vegetables and their broth.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with about 1 cup Parmesan cheese or enough to thicken the sauce and serve, passing additional Parmesan at the table.