Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the way my grandma made it. Be sure to use a large pot!
- 8 ounces vermicelli, cooked and drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh green beans
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 3⁄4 cup zucchini, sliced (1/4-inch thick and halved)
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch strips
- 4 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar whole mushrooms
- 1 medium tomatoes, wedged
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, freshly grated
- Saute garlic in olive oil 1 minute; add green beans, broccoli, zucchini, pepper and onion; cook 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and tomatoes and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- In small saucepan, mix butter, half and half and spices until butter melts.
- Remove from heat; mix in half of cheese, stirring well.
- Toss sauce with vegetables, pasta and remaining cheese.
- Note: Following the recipe, your veggies will still be crisp, if you like them more tender, you might want to par-cook the broccoli and green beans first.
Flavor was good. It seemed overall pretty healthy. I only gave it 4 stars because the sauce was runny. I guess I expected a thicker sauce but it had the texture of milk. Recipe would be better with a creamier sauce. Next time I might try to thicken it- add flour to the half and half/ butter as it is cooking??
This was great! It looked so pretty and tasted fresh and healthy. I used rotini instead of vermicelli because it was already made. Yum! Next time I will add more spices, but that's just personal preference.