Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is adapted from Step-by-step cookery series " Salads and Summer dishes" and is a mayo-free recipe that appeals to me as I try and eat a little healthier. Cooking time included chilling time. ZWT REGION: Italy.
- 175 g pasta shells (6 oz)
- 150 ml unsweetened apple juice (1/4 pint)
- 1 teaspoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 225 g cooked large shelled prawns (8 oz) or 225 g large shelled cooked shrimp (8 oz)
- 225 g crisp red apples (8 oz)
- lettuce leaf
- paprika (to garnish)
- Boil pasta for 10-15 minutes in salted water, until it is just cooked though ("al dente") Drain off the cooking water and rinse in cold running water.
- Mix together apple juice, mint, vinegar, salt, pepper.
- Dry the prawns in paper towels, peel, core and dice the apples and add them and the dressing to the cooked pasta. Mix well, cover tightly and refridgerate for 2 hours.
- Wash lettuce leaves and slice finely, line the serving dish/dishes with lettuce and then spoon the salad mixture on top. Dust salad mixture with paprika.
- Serve as a large main dish or as individual portions as prefered.
I'm sorry but we just did not care for this at all. It tasted like pasta soaked in apple juice. I would suggest doubling the mint to give it more flavor and the only other thing I could think of which would improve the flavor would be to lessen the apple juice and add mayo which totally defeats the purpose of this salad. Hopefully the recipe will appeal to someone else who might know how to perk it up.