Recipe by JFitz
I found this recipe on Pinterest and it really is yummy and the presentation is fantastic!
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Finally got around to making this and it was not only tasty but oh so much fun and everyone thought I was soooo clever. I did add some fresh herbs to the sauce, basil, oregano and thyme and some fine chopped sweet onions. While the sauce was already good, I felt that these additions added a nice depth of flavors. Other than that I made as directed and was so pleased with the results. This is truly a recipe to impress, served with a side of capresi salad and fresh hot bread. What a great dinner. Can't thank you enough for posting.
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) cangood quality crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 8 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot cook pasta until slightly underdone (apx 12 minutes). When done, rinse in cold water and drain again. Toss pasta with 1 tablespoon olive oil to coat. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned. Add garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Add crushed tomatoes; simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Toss pasta with parmesan cheese. Butter a 9" springform pan. Tightly pack pasta into pan, standing each piece on end. I held the pan on it's side and layered that way. Spread meat sauce on top of pasta and try to have the sauce go into center of noodles.
- Place in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake another 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to loosen and then unmold.
- Cut into wedges and serve with any remaining meat sauce you might have.