Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A different, tasty casserole dish.
- 6 ounces vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- coarse black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 1⁄3 cups peeled canned Italian tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon orange rind
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 lb Fontina cheese, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To prepare base: Cook vermicelli in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain. Add 1T olive oil and stir.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, nutmeg and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Add vermicelli and stir well to coat pasta evenly with egg mixture.
- Grease 9” pie tins and press the pasta evenly over the bottom and up the sides (as though you would for a pie crust) far enough to form a shallow rim.
- Cover the rim loosely with tin foil and bake for 10 minutes, or until pasta shell has set. Leave the foil on for later baking.
- To prepare the filling: Heat oil in a frying pan and gently saute garlic for 1 minute. Drain tomatoes, reserving juice for later, and break tomatoes up with a spoon before adding to the pan. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, 10 - 13 cups of reserved tomato juice and the orange rind.
- Simmer until tomatoes are pulpy and thick, stirring occasionally. The mixture should be quite thick, with no excess liquid.
- Remove from heat and stir in mint (if using) and sugar, then let cool slightly. Stir cheese into tomato mixture, then spoon into the pasta base.
- Bake until set, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.