Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Lots of beans here, a good source of fiber and protein, excellent for vegetarians and vegans.
- 8 ounces penne or 8 ounces mostaccioli pasta or 8 ounces rotini pasta, uncooked
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Prepare pasta according to package directions and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, beans, corn, onion, bell pepper, cilantro and parsley.
- In a separate bowl, combine vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, cumin, cayenne and black pepper.
- Slowly whisk oil into vinegar mixture.
- Add vinegar mixture to pasta and stir well.
- Serve well-chilled.
What a great salad! Neither vegetarian or vegan but loved the sound of all ingredients and they surely came together well. Will be a staple in my salad recipe file. Thanks for sharing Mirj. Tweeky, a.k.a Judi
I'm not a big fan of pasta salads usually, but I really enjoyed this one. Was making it with fajita pork, so I only used the black beans as I didn't want protein overkill. My alterations included using elbow noodles, replacing the red peppers for tomatoes (which I always do because we don't care for peppers), and using olive oil instead of veg oil for extra omegas. We ate it that night without giving it time to chill, and it was really good, but yes, the portion I gave myself for lunch today tasted better as cold. Going in the permanent cookbook file! :)
This was really tasty! After mixing it up I thought it might need some tweeking but after sitting in the fridge overnight it was perfect. It has a very light, fresh taste which was great for a summertime lunch. I did make a few minor alterations: cut the pasta to 4 oz, left out the cilantro (don't care for it), cut the spices down just a bit and used olive oil instead of veg. This recipe will go into my "repeat" file! Thanks Mirj!