Recipe by pines506
This is really good basic recipe. Sometimes, I like to add in some garlic and chopped green chilies to the loaf or use Pepper Jack cheese. You can pretty much spice this up to your taste.
Top Review by brian48195
This was easy to make and was pretty good. I omitted the chopped pimentos as no one likes them. I used half Italian breadcrumbs and half regular. I think this could be varied to personal taste very easily and become a keeper. I gave this 4 stars because one of my sons said it wasn't that great. I liked it and my youngest ate 3 helpings. Thanks for sharing.
- 2 cups cooked shell pasta or 2 cups elbow macaroni (8 oz.)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs (crusts removed)
- 1 cup grated colby-monterey jack cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimiento
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup hot half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef (I use ground round)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet (browning sauce)
- 1 dash nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine macaroni, bread crumbs, cheese and pimiento.
- In separate bowl, beat eggs.
- Add half-n-half, butter, onion, salt and pepper.
- Beat until well combined.
- Combine egg mixture with macaroni mixture, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Turn into a greast 9 x 5 inch loaf pan, smoothing top.
- Set pan in shallow pan with water.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until set.
- Meanwhile, prepare meat sauce by sauteeing meat and onion in skillet until browned.
- Drain off fat.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Stir until well blended and heat through.
- Thin with more milk, if desired.
- Remove macaroni loaf from pan onto serving platter.
- Cut into slices.
- Serve with meat sauce.