Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
You'll be surprised at how light yet satisfying this pasta is, It's finished in a fast garlicky almond sauce, studded with peas, and topped with chopped roasted almonds. 20 mins from start to finish.
- 3⁄4 cup whole blanched almond (4 ounces)
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta or 1 lb other small tubular pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (plus additional for serving})
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, divided (torn if large)
- 1⁄3 cup mint leaf, divided (torn if large, optional but nice)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped roasted almonds (2 ounces)
- Purée blanched almonds and garlic with water and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a blender until smooth.
- Cook cavatappi in a pasta pot of boiling salted water (3 tablespoons salt for 6 quarts water) until almost al dente. Reserve 3 cups pasta-cooking water and drain pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet (preferably straight-sided) over medium heat until foam subsides.
- Add almond purée and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 3 minutes then add 2 1/2 cups reserved cooking water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and simmer, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons butter until melted.
- Add pasta and peas and cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente (sauce will be thin), 2 to 3 minutes. Add cheese and lemon juice and stir until combined well.
- Remove from heat and stir in half of basil and mint and salt and pepper to taste. Serve pasta in bowls topped with chopped almonds, remaining herbs, and additional cheese.
This was very different but I really enjoyed it! The lemon juice and herbs took this up a notch. Loved it with the peas! Thanks!