Recipe by Kree
This is a delicious and fruity side dish! I got it from my cousin Bill, who says every time he brings it somewhere he gets bombarded with requests for the recipe. I can see why! The serving size is an estimate. It makes a lot! The cooking time includes the time to refrigerate overnight.
Top Review by CJ Berry
My family loves this!! I did not use pineapple -- because my husband does not like it so I just substitued more mandarine oranges. Yummy. Thanks so much for this fine and easy recipe! :-)
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits (can also use chunks)
- 1 (6 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 lb acini di pepe pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) container Cool Whip (can use Lite or Fat Free)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the fruit, saving the juices.
- Combine fruit juices with sugar, salt, flour, and eggs.
- Cook until the mixture boils, stirring often so you don't scramble the eggs; remove from heat.
- As this cooks, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water.
- Pour the still warm cooked fruit juice over hot pasta and stir.
- Let come to room temperature, then refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the Cool Whip to the refrigerator to soften for the next day.
- The next day, combine the Cool Whip and all the fruit.
- Keeps for a week.
- TIPS: You may want to add about 1/2 the container of Cool Whip to the fruit to start with, then add more if it's too dry.
- You may also want to drain the fruit again right before you add it, this time NOT adding the juices to the mixture.